Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Last LAX blog of the season

Goodbye LAX Season...I learned a lot...but not about lacrosse...
April 25, 2010

So lacrosse season has come to an end and this will be my last blog...until football...at least that is a sport I sort-of-somewhat-justalittlebit understand...sort-of...

It has been a fun road to travel...all this hitting with sticks and flying balls...and shared mouth guards...and even though I have thrown in the towel with trying to understand this game, I have really enjoyed it!

I also enjoyed having a wonderful group of parents to share team duties with and how wonderfully cooperative and supportive everyone was. It makes a team mom's job easier when you can just assign duties and everyone does them. Why can't our kids be more like that? Remember, I have a 16-year old in the house...EVERYTHING is an argument or fuss...she is like a $600-an-hour lawyer with us...

This last week was a big one for our boys---a field trip, their last game, and the Greek Festival...

About that field trip---or what I affectionately refer to as "herding cats" (and if you have cats you know they are not much about being herded). The kids were great. I highly recommend the IMAX 3-D movie that they got to see: "Hubble 3D"...and the magic exhibit was fun. But the bus ride...man, oh man, what a ride...both ways. I was a chaperone and since I had all girls in my group, I rode on the girl bus. I think the 6th grade team leader either has a lot of faith in me or dislikes me...I'm going with the former as they were a pretty sweet bunch of girls. So I am on the bus with Precious History Teacher (his name changes but he is the same man...adorable, precious, VERY cute 25-year-old WONDERFUL History Teacher)...for this blog I will call him PHT) and Sweet English Teacher (SET)...and we leave SFEDS 45 minutes before our expected arrival at HMNS, and SET remarks that we are going to have time on our hands...and with that, she cursed us...

45 minutes later we FINALLY arrive at the HMNS, but not before touring a good bit of the freeways around downtown. We went east on 10, then to 45 South, and then on to 59 South and finally exited somewhere to get to the museum. I thought we would just head over to 59 and exit Main, but what do I know. The girls got LOUD...and mean LOUD LOUD. SET had to quiet them down...more than once. It was the bus ride from hell...until the bus ride home...and then that become the REAL bus ride from you-know-where...

After our little day at the museum, we get back on the buses to head back to SFEDS at 2:10. SET and PHT and I are happily visiting in our little row...I ask which way we are heading and PHT remarks that we must be getting ready to get on 59 from the looks of things...he was wrong. That wasn't the first time we guessed wrong as to the route the bus driver was going to take. She outmaneuvered our thinking about 12 more times. Every time we thought we figured out what way she was going SHE WOULD TURN SOME WRONG WAY!!! Or at least it seemed wrong to the 3 adults sitting in the front 2 seats...adults who know how to get to and from the museum. The girls were oblivious. We had a nice tour of downtown---we went by Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral, St. Joseph's hospital, Market Square ...yes, we made it that far and I thought for sure she was going to get on the Scott street entrance to 1-10 but she had another surprise up her sleeve...we swung around by the Lyric Center and the Wortham..I quit paying attention and just visited with PHT and SET...and thought maybe we were headed down Memorial but the next thing I know I look out the window and all but pounce on PHT sitting next to me as I say "WHY THE HECK (I may have said "hell"...thank goodness I wasn't yelling) ARE WE AT MINUTE MAID PARK?!?!!!!!! I think his answer was something to the effect of "I wish I knew"...and I was wishing he DID know.

By then we had been touring downtown Houston for a good 30 minutes or more. So we finally get on 59 and head to I-10 and the freeway is at a standstill. They boy's bus is in front of us. They turn to go 45 North. I grab PHT (did I mention he is really cute?) again and say something about the boy's bus heading a different direction...he laughs...I remind him that my son is on that bus...he stops laughing...but only because he has figured out that they are heading up 45 to avoid the gridlock standstill we are in. I think he may be the only man that I know that must have a sense of direction because I know plenty of men that wouldn't have figured that one out. I quit worrying where my son was headed when we turned the same direction.

I think the bus drivers must get paid by the mile...

It seems to me that the bus driver's thinking was a bit like Disneyworld and the long lines that wind about---if you keep moving, you forget how long you are waiting...so we kept moving...

After our trip up 45 North we get to 610 and take that back to I-10 and finally exit Piney Point.

We have been on the bus for at least an hour...

and it is carpool at SFEDS...

I'm stopping here because the rest is...well, not fun...or funny...but we got back safe and sound and that is all you need to know about that...

I'm not getting back on a bus with that woman (the bus driver) again...

I literally got myself to the gym as quickly as I could that day to work off the stress. The cucumber water is still an attraction and I can burn a boatload of calories doing an hour on the elliptical machine with my friends Madonna, George Michael, and the cast of "Glee". I even survived my first spin class in a very long time---it hurt but was a victory. I've only missed one day in 30 days...a lot like rehab...my inner skinny girl is getting happier, but she wishes I hadn't kept her locked up for so long. The day I missed was Friday...because it was Greek Festival and I was TIRED...


So back to LAX...that last game was something special...another undefeated season for our boys! I'm so proud of them!!!!!

So here are the top 10 things I learned during LAX season, besides the fact that I won't be understanding all the ins and outs of this game anytime soon:

10. The Goalie can take the ball and run down the field and score a goal...

9. Boys can hit each other with their sticks if they hold the stick the RIGHT way...ON THE LAX FIELD...DURING A GAME OR SCRIMMAGE....

8. mouth guards can be shared if you have to...

7. the 7th grade History teacher (not PHT, but a different guy...who I also love) is not fond of our boys penchant for sitting on the desks, messing with things on his desk, being loud, playing with phones (which are banned until after 3:45), or waving LAX sticks around...they will have to do some pretty good sucking up next year to get back into his good graces...and maybe the Athletic Director needs to give the 6th grade boys a different room for study hall.

6. The sweet dad who tried to pay the entire bill for the team dinner is waaaay too nice and thankfully got paid back but next time I am watching him so he can't nab the bill again...

5. Speaking of Molinas...that was fun! They can handle a crowd...you just need to tell them you are bringing 50 people. What did I learn about Molinas? One margarita is probably enough...

4. Even the sweetest boys can end up in the penalty box...

3. Our boys are VERY skilled athletes...the next few years will be fun...and they all shine...

2. I can actually say I look forward to next LAX season...

and the number one thing I learned:

1. YOU PEOPLE WILL READ ANYTHING...EVEN THIS BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment