Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Game 2---I still don't get this sport

We are 2 games into the season and I still don't have any better understanding of this crazy game than I did before the first game. At least I know what the "crease" is...it is the circle around the goalie...

I understand "defender", "midfielder" , "midi" (short for midfielder..), and that an attacker is like a forward in soccer or field hockey, but the rest of it is still quite a jumble. It took me 2 years to understand the "off sides" rule in soccer so I have a very slow learning curve with sports...

The sweet History teacher/coach did bravely try to give me a lesson about the game...he even used visual aids (a white board and marker), but once he got going with the "x's" and "o's" on the diagram, my eyes began to spin like a cartoon character. Poor thing, he just looked at me and said "that's enough for now...go to the first game and then we will talk about it more."...thank goodness my son is his student and not me or I might have flunked class...bless his sweet heart for trying...he is an adorable man...

Penalty Box...cradling...cross check, oh my!

Game 1, or "What the heck is this game? Part 1"...

I stayed behind the camera for much of the first game. I figured if I couldn't understand what was going on, the least I could do is get good photos of it. The light didn't cooperate so it was a "fail"... and I left with no understanding of the game, and my photos were...not good...not quite an epic fail, but a fail nonetheless...

I did understand that the boys rocked the game and on boy and his "hat trick" of goals (a sports term I understand thanks to a "Jeopardy" question) was amazing...all the boys played well and did us proud!

The best part of the game for me---when we came home and my son says to me "That was soooo fun!"...uh-oh, I think we are going to stick with this sport...

How about track? Let's do that...

That was so last blog...

Game 2, or "What the heck is this game? Part 2"...


So we get to that late game (late for 6th grade boys)...which started even later...and the temperature is dropping...and I'm in sandals...and one of the dads is in short sleeves. I did offer to go to the car and get my sparkly poncho for him but I don't think he was cold enough to be that humiliated...

So why am I in sandals? I forgot to change shoes after teaching Art a la Carte all day...Sweet History Teacher's room is a sauna so I was comfy in my sandals until I got to the game and realized that my feet were becoming popsicles! One player's gorgeous and incredibly sweet sister gave me a blanket---I am planning to adopt her next week---perhaps her parents will take my daughter as a trade? I don't think so...16 year old girls are basically Beelzebub (demons from you-know-where)...Lord Valdemort and She Who Must Not Be Named are 2 other nicknames we have for her...

Back to the game...

We start late.

It. is .freezing.

I thought this was a SPRING sport?

So I sit, unable to take photos because I can only do so in natural light, and enjoy the warmth provided by that sweet child's blanket while I try and figure out what is going on in the field. It's hopeless and I am grateful that my friend Jeff understands the game and can tell me things...

There is a lot of stopping of the game...the first half took forever...tick tock goes the clock, but for only a few seconds at a time...

A test in Spanish...Pobre Ana...

Pobre SFEDS 6th grade boys LAX team...Pobre Poor Parents Stuck Freezing in the Stands (sorry, my Spanish is limited...I only know that "pobre" means "poor" ...the rest is beyond me).

The boys have a test in English...Ponyboy and Sodapop..."stay Golden"...and the ref is stopping the game every 15 seconds...

Why are our boys going to the penalty box all the time? We have good boys...what the heck is the ref seeing with all that action on the field...I can't tell when one of them has done something wrong...

it. is .freezing.

We keep scoring...the clock keeps stopping...the ref is making this game last forever...several of them score, one boy runs like lightning despite not having cleats, and the goalie keeps balls out of he goal despite having been sick the day before...they are all playing really well but the ref keeps stopping the game and I don't know why...

A test in Spanish...a test in English...

I forgot to give my son a snack...he must be starving at this point because it is 7:30...

The sweet child who loaned me her blanket is cold and I insist she take back her blanket...a dad gives me his...one poor mom shows up after being lost and all I want to do is hug her...I share my (borrowed) blanket with her so she can stop shaking...

I see my son running about bothering an attacker like he (my son) is some kind of gnat that is buzzing about the boy...I guess that is his job...

It is after 8:00 PM

It . Is. Freezing.

Isn't this a SPRING sport?

Sticks are being brandished about like light sabers..."Luke, I am your father"...another Star Wars reference but I am not as geeky as that would make me seem...the boys can run with the stick in one hand...

I just don't get this game, but I do "get" that a long stick means defense and a short one is a midi or attacker...my son is playing defense and the stick is as long as he is tall...we bought him a normal sized stick and I refuse to go and get another one because as soon as we do, he will need the short stick instead. That is what happens with sports equipment in our family...and this is an expensive sport...

Thank goodness for Jeff...between the blanket and his commentary I begin to start to somewhat maybe get a little bit of something about what this game is about...but just a little bit...

One dad acutally played lacrosse in school---he needs to give us all a lesson...he understands this crazy game...but he was smart and stayed on the other side of the field so he could let the other bleachers block the wind... I think I will plant myself next to him next time...

It. Is. Freezing.

The clock keeps stopping...the ref seems to want this game to last forever...

I come up with a song in my head...to the tune of the "Tik Tok" song by Ke$sha (if you haven't heard it, your son has...)

Don't stop, run the clock...



Ref, oh please don't make it stop...



Tonight, the boys will fight



but it's getting near midnight!



Tik Tok , run the clock



but the game it must not stop...



Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh...oh -oh-oh-oh-oh-ooh!







I'm really more of a Michael Buble and Aerosmith girl (what a combo!), but Ke$ha is catchy...and she looks and sings a bit like my daughter...if my daughter sang about drinking Jack Daniels...which she doesn't...at least I hope not...

Back to reality:

IT. IS. FREEZING.

Pobre Ana and Ponyboy...

FINALLY the game ends...it's almost 8:15...Pobre Ana and Ponyboy have to wait because my son is hungry...and tired...and I still don't understand lacrosse...but my son again tells me that the game was "so much fun"...that is really all that matters...I hope the Spanish and English teachers agree...

I guess I will figure this out after spring break...maybe it will be warmer...maybe Sweet History Teacher/Coach can shed some light on this as he is ever patient with me and oh so cute...I'll let him get out the marker and white board again...or he can make a power point about it...that seems to do the trick with the kids...

How about track? Let's do...nevermind...

By Anice D at 10:41pm

No comments:

Post a Comment